In this post we will lighting about Phase failure and it's advantages, in short word we will called phase failure in this post with name of PF.
Not only we talk about it's working but also we will talk about it's wiring connection and uses in 3 phase electrical panel or distribution board.
What is Phase Failure Relay Diagram / Phase Controller Device and How it's work
In simple word a PF is a protective device which we use in 3 phase main boards, sippicly we use it in those panel board in which supply goes from a magnetic contactor. When one of phase cut or not coming to the main board the phase controller automatically switch off the all supply, my means that PF device switch off the cont actor coil current and contactor switch off or cut off the power supply.
In short a magnetic contactor is required for PF or controller. However i want to gave another example form which you will understand the importance of phase failure device controller.
E.g Example :If you wire a 3 phase motor with a contactor / motor starter and you start your motor by pressing the green push button. Now your motor is start and working but in case one of your phase is cut or not coming to main board. or you main circuit breaker one point is not working. So in this case your main board and motor missing one phase, in this time the PF device will active and switch off your magnetic cont actor or we can say that it's will cut the magnetic contact-or coil current.
In this phase controller internally instill a relay and circuit which measure the phases and switch off the relay when one phase is missing to the phase failure circuit.
As you know that we all use overload relay for protection with three phase machines but in case of one phase missing the relay working and activation required some time to protect you machine. However if we instill or wire phase controller in our main panel board then we can safe our all electrical 3 phase machine in same time when phase is missing or we can said this is double protection.
How To Connect Or Instill Phase Controller / Phase Failure Relay DiagramA PF device is a type of relay which working principles is regarding the phases. This device have 3 point which for L1 L2 L3 and when we connect 3 phase power supply to these contacts they relay circuit active and start testing phases. In this device a relay is instill and they have three points in which one is common and other are Normally open (NO) and normally close (NC). When our main circuit breaker is off, the PF device relay is NC between 1 and 2 Point, and when we switch on our main circuit breaker, the 3 phase supply start to the phase failure device and the device relay energize and make a NC connection between 2 and 3 contacts.
In Case if our one phase is missing in circuit, the device will de energize the relay and it's make again NO contacts between 2 and 3 points.
I hope you understood the working of phase failure relay now lets talk about the below diagram, in the below diagram i connect a phase failure with circuit breaker and contactor / motor starter and overload relay.
In the below diagram i completely wire a 3 phase motor because if i did not shown the complete method and only shown the phase controller then you will be not understand completely.
In the above diagram i shown the complete method of wiring or connection of phase failure relay diagram with circuit breaker, cont actor, overload relay, push button switches and electric motor, however lets talk about this step by step.
- First of all do connection between mcb circuit breaker and contactor / motor starter.
- Then Do connection between the 3 wire between contact or and overload relay.
- Then get three phase connection for PF phase control device and connect it as shown in above diagram.
- Then get a connection L1 point in PF device and connect to the common point for relay in PF which is 2.
- After that do connection between PF point 3 and overload relay NC point 96.
- After get connection from the overload relay point 95 and connect it to the contactor normally open auxiliary point and red push button which is normally close.
- Then get wire connection from other connection point of Red switch which off push button and connect to the switch on push button which green push button which have normally open contacts.
- Now do connection between green switch and cont actor other side normally open auxiliary contacts point and then connect a wire here and provide it to the cont actor coil.
- Now get connection from L1 which shown with Red color and connect to coil other side as shown in above diagram.
- An Last provide the incoming supply to mcb (miniature circuit breaker) 3 pole CB and after that switch off the circuit breaker and do connection between three phase electric motor and overload main contacts.
How to wire 3 phase motor?
How to wire 3 pole mcb?
I hope now you completely understood the wiring of phase failure relay or connection phase controller, INSH ALLAH i will write more helpful post about electrical technology.
Note that some phase failure relay or phase controller have also a Neutral point and you must provide the neutral to device. This will highlight or named with N or mp.