In this post, you will learn about the replacing capacitor in ceiling fan. Ceiling fan numbering in those electric appliances and machines which we use very much in our lives and mostly in the summer season. In AC fans we have two types of internal winding which are called “main winding” and “starting winding”. Most people know main winding by the name of “running winding” and starting winding as “auxiliary winding”. However in this post we only high lights the procedure of replacing the capacitor in a fan.
Replacing Capacitor in Ceiling Fan Motor or other Fan Motor
When your fan runs slow or not running and makes a type of sound then maybe your fan winding problem or capacitor but mostly this problem comes with the capacitor. I also publish a post about the role of capacitors in fans and you can learn by using the below link.
Role of capacitor in fan
Ceiling fan capacitor connection diagram
How to control the speed of the fan using a speed control switch
How to control speed and wire dimmer switch for ceiling fan
So we use a capacitor with the fan but when the capacitor becomes weak, our fan RPM or speed becomes slow, or if the capacitor stops its duty totally or blown then our fan stop running. Note that in some cases the fan slows due to the Dimmer switch which we use for the ceiling fan to regulate the speed. So if your fan running slow then first check your dimmer switch, maybe someone regulates it in the slow direction. However, follow the steps before you going to change your capacitor in a fan.
- First of all switch off your supply from your main DP board
- Then open the connection point of the fan where the capacitor is instilled from the company
- Then check the capacitor value and buy the same value capacitor from the market or online store.
- Now remove the old or blown capacitor wire one by one and connect these wires to the new capacitor.
- Your fan’s main winding or starting winding is burned if the fan still makes sound and not starting. Or the fan bearings are jammed.
- If the ceiling fan not staring and have not made a sound or vibration then may be your fan internal winding is burned or cut ( open circuit).
- OR your incoming supply is not receiving to the fan.
Now If your fan not starting and have no sound then confirm that the current supply is receiving to the fan, so if the fan receiving the current and still not working and not making any type of sound then maybe your fan’s internal winding is cut (open circuit)/ burn. Or maybe its connection wires are cut.
Now come to explain it using a simple clip art replacing capacitor in ceiling fan diagram. In the below diagram, I show the ceiling fan motor and its connection point where the capacitor is instilled. For example, if your fan capacitor is blown and you want to change it with a new one, then the first option is to check the number of the old capacitor. It’s for that reason that you buy a new capacitor with the same model and ratio. Now if your fan capacitor has 3 wires red, yellow and purple. So if all wire is connected to the fan’s other wires then buy the same type of capacitor and if your fan’s old blown capacitor has three wire and only two is connected to the fan wiring then follow these step.
- First of all, buy the same type of capacitor from the market.
- And if the same type of capacitor is not available then check the capacitor value. You will find that there are two types of values written on capacitors. For example 1.2 microfarad and 2.3 microfarads. You will see that the red and yellow wire capacitance value is 2.3 µF and the red and purple wire value is 1.2 µF. So your common wire is red. I also showed the 3 wire capacitor diagram inside the below ceiling fan capacitor changing diagram
- Now if the red and yellow are connected to the fan then buy a 2.3 µF capacitor from the market and connect it to the fan.
In the above replacing capacitor diagram I show three wire capacitor, it’s for that if you require a 2.3 µF capacitor and which is a two-wire capacitor and in the market, the two-wire capacitor is not available then buy a three-wire capacitor which has a value of 2.3 microfarads. And connect the 2.3 µF wire to the fan and leave the other wire as I have shown in the above diagram. Note that insulate the other wire.
Replacing 3 Wire Capacitor to Fan Motor In Speed Control Switch
If your fan motor is working on three wire capacitor and it’s connected to the fan speed control switch then connect the connection as shown below diagram also read the post I gave below replacing 3 wire capacitor to the fan diagram.
By reading the below post link, you will completely understand the replacement of 3 wire capacitors in the fan, also read the other post for a better understanding.
Also, Read Below:
3 Wire ceiling fan capacitor instillation with speed controller switch
3-wire ceiling fan motor capacitor diagram
5-wire fan motor capacitor diagram and explanation
I hope now you will completely understand the replacing capacitor in ceiling fan motor or other fans, however, if you have any questions regarding this post then ask me in to comment section.